The federal authorities presents a number of mortgage forgiveness plans in change for fulfilling service obligations in designated areas and professions. A notable instance is the Substance Use Dysfunction Remedy and Restoration Mortgage Compensation Program (STAR LRP).
This program presents as much as $250,000 in mortgage reimbursement to certified people working throughout the space of substance abuse therapy. Preserve studying to study extra about this mortgage reimbursement program and see in case you qualify.
Be aware: Purposes for STAR LRP are closed for 2021. You may sign up to receive program update emails on future availability.
What’s STAR LRP?
The Substance Use Dysfunction Remedy and Restoration Mortgage Compensation Program is obtainable and administered by the Well being Assets and Providers Administration (HRSA), an company of the U.S. Division of Well being and Human Providers. It’s a federal program that gives mortgage reimbursement for people who work full-time at a qualifying substance use dysfunction (SUD) therapy middle.
STAR LRP eligibility
Candidates should meet the next program necessities to be eligible to obtain reimbursement help via the STAR LRP program:
- Be a U.S. citizen, nationwide or everlasting resident.
- Work as a full-time worker at a STAR-LRP accredited facility.
- Be absolutely licensed and credentialed in an eligible self-discipline or a registered SUD skilled.
Beneath are the eligible STAR LRP disciplines and specialties.
- Allopathic (MD) or Osteopathic (DO) Doctor: Habit Drugs, Household Drugs, Normal Inside Drugs, Normal Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Geriatrics, Psychiatry
- Doctor Assistant (PA), Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Registered Nurse (RN): Grownup, Household, Pediatric, Ladies’s Well being, Geriatrics, Psychological Well being & Psychiatry
- Licensed Nurse Midwife (CNM)
- Licensed Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
- Pharmacists (PHARM)
- Well being Service Psychologist (HSP)
- Licensed Medical Social Employee (LCSW)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialist (PNS)
- Marriage and Household Therapist (MFT)
- Licensed Skilled Counselor (LPC)
- Substance Use Dysfunction (SUD) Counselors
- Psychology Doctoral Interns
- Medical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
- Licensed Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Licensed Sensible Nurse (LPN)
- Licensed Occupational Therapists
- Medical Assistants
- Neighborhood Well being Staff
- Peer Restoration Specialists
- Case Managers
- Well being Navigators
Not all loans are eligible for reimbursement via STAR LRP. Eligible loans embrace Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, Direct Consolidation Loans and choose Perkins Loans.
Different eligible loans embrace loans for training or coaching, particularly for substance use dysfunction therapy employment, and different choose loans. Consolidated or refinance pupil loans may additionally be eligible for reimbursement in the event that they solely embrace eligible training loans for the applicant.
Necessities to qualify for HRSA mortgage help
To earn HRSA mortgage forgiveness, you need to commit to 6 years of full-time employment at a STAR LRP-approved facility, both offering direct therapy or restoration assist for substance abuse dysfunction sufferers. Psychology doctoral interns should decide to full-time employment as a psychologist for six years, together with finishing an internship program.
Different particulars to find out about STAR LRP
STAR LRP funding relies on tiered precedence. Beneath are the 2 tiers that have an effect on funding:
- Tier 1 contains people who’re working at a STAR LRP-approved facility in a county the place the drug overdose loss of life price has been greater than the nationwide common for the previous three years.
- Tier 2 is for people working at a STAR LRP-approved facility that’s situated in a Psychological Well being Skilled Scarcity Space (MHPSA).
The HRSA considers different components, like your employment begin date and excellent debt-to-income (DTI) ratio.
STAR LRP funds aren’t exempt from federal earnings and employment taxes. As a substitute of members paying any related taxes, the HRSA mechanically withholds the required taxes from the awarded funds. Mortgage reimbursement funds may additionally be topic to state and native taxes, relying on the place you reside.
Candidates is perhaps eligible to take part in multiple mortgage reimbursement or forgiveness program. Take into account that you’re ineligible for STAR LRP funds in case you participate in one other mortgage forgiveness or reimbursement program with service obligations that happen concurrently with the STAR LRP.
Contact program directors for extra detailed data in case you plan to pursue multiple mortgage reimbursement program.
Options to STAR LRP
Relying in your profession discipline, you may qualify for one of many HRSA’s different mortgage reimbursement packages:
Every program has its personal eligibility and repair necessities. All three NHSC mortgage reimbursement packages are exempt from federal earnings taxes.
You may additionally qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). It’s essential to work full-time at a qualifying non-profit or authorities group whereas making 120 qualifying mortgage funds mortgage forgiveness. Forgiven quantities below PSLF are tax-free.
Take time to analysis STAR LRP and different mortgage reimbursement packages to see in case you qualify for any help to repay your pupil mortgage debt. If you happen to need assistance determining methods to repay your loans, our pupil mortgage consultants can create a customized loan repayment plan that works for you.