Prince Albert is a pleasant South African village within the Karoo, which is a part of the Western Cape. Though we dwell in an arid area we’re blessed with water from the Swartberg Mountains and the village is just a little oasis.
We take pleasure in an outstanding local weather, with a excessive sunshine index and spectacular night time skies. The village is a small gem, with superbly preserved Cape Dutch, Karoo and Victorian buildings – 13 of that are Nationwide Monuments*.
There’s ample lodge and visitor home lodging to swimsuit all preferences and pockets. We additionally supply farm lodging.
Prince Albert is understood for its sun-ripened contemporary and dried fruit, particularly figs and apricots. Within the Prince Albert Valley , to the south of the village, farmers are restoring vineyards final farmed within the nineteenth century. Karoo lamb, olives, olive oil and cheese are native delicacies. (See what to purchase, farming & produce).
Right here you’ll be able to wander all the way down to the dairy within the night to purchase your milk, cream and yoghurt, and go to our Saturday marketplace for fruit and greens picked that morning, contemporary baked bread, selfmade jams and pickles.
Each April we maintain our Prince Albert City Pageant when the village entertains crowds of tourists to a road market, scrumptious meals, music, an artwork exhibition, competitions, a half marathon and cycle race and much extra.
Simply 2kms from the foot of the superior Swartberg Cross, Prince Albert is the proper base for exploring all of the wonders of the Swartberg together with Gamkaskloof – “the Hell” and Meiringspoort
Actions for guests embrace a guided historic stroll by the city, a ramble alongside the “Gordon’s koppie”, a ghost stroll within the night, journeys into the Swartberg Cross, a go to to the Prince Albert Gallery, the place native artists show their work, native outlets, the tannery and weavery, conventional Karoo meals, and a go to to the pleasant Fransie Pienaar Museum the place an area farmer distills “Witblits”.
Climbing, mountain biking, scenic drives, birding and bird- watching are main sights. (see what to do)
The villages of Klaarstroom and Leeu Gamka fall inside the municipal district.
Prince Albert is effectively located for in a single day stops from Gauteng, Cape City and Port Elizabeth. The Backyard Route resorts and seashores lie a two hour drive to the south. Oudtshoorn, the Cango Caves and the Karoo Nationwide Park are simply an hour’s drive away.
The village of Prince Albert sprang from the mortgage farm Queekvalleij, established by Zacharias and Dina de Beer in 1762. The fertile valley quickly attracted different farmers, church companies had been held available on the market sq. and by 1844 an NG church had been constructed and a thriving group established.
In 1845 some parishioners instructed that the village be named Albertsburg after “Naar zijne Hoogheid” – his Royal Highness, Prince Albert, Queen Victoria’s consort. The Governor’s approval was granted in July and the village grew to become referred to as Prince Albert.
Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha lived between (1819 – 1861).
By 1855 our weekly market had been established and Bishop Robert Grey – the primary Anglican Bishop of Cape City, visited the village and located it “very superbly located on the foot of the Zwart-berg mountains.”
In 1857 a studying room was established, resulting in the opening of our library in 1862 – one of many earliest within the Cape Colony. Queen Victoria despatched a guide of Prince Albert’s speeches to the village in 1867, this will now be seen on the Fransie Pienaar Museum.
Sadly the unique library burnt down in 1949 however ten years later our new library was opened – please go to to see a everlasting show in regards to the village compiled by our librarian.
The brand new NG Kerk in Kerkstraat was consecrated in 1865 and the next yr Ds Adriaan Hofmeyer changed the small organ with the sumptuous instrument presently in use. Annie Luttig was appointed church organist in 1892 and held the publish for 58 years.
In the course of the 1850’s and 60’s there was a lot constructing exercise and Carel Lotz created his well-known Prince Albert gables. While you’re right here, please go on a guided historic stroll across the village to see our gables, effectively preserved examples of Karoo cottages, Victorian houses, former cinema’s and our Nationwide monuments. Contact the Fransie Pienaar Museum 023 5411 172 or the Tourism Affiliation Workplace 023 5411 366
In 1881 development started within the Swartberg Cross however it was solely in 1883, when Thomas Bain took over the undertaking, that work began in earnest. In 1886 the cross was opened to the general public – however at their very own danger, as development was nonetheless underneath approach.
The post-coach left the Prince Albert Resort each morning at 6.00am, on one event the motive force stopped on the little settlement on the prime of the cross for a cup of espresso and returned to search out his coach gone – the horses had headed again in the direction of Prince Albert and the heat of their steady. The Swartberg Cross was formally opened on tenth January 1888. In 1904 Dr Russell from Oudtshoorn drove the primary motorcar over the cross.
In 1891 a shepherd discovered a gold nugget on the farm Klein Waterval and the Prince Albert Gold Rush began. Enthusiastic miners predicted one other Witwatersrand however solely 504 ounces of gold had been mined from the 1042 registered claims. Relics of the goldrush will be seen at our museum.
The Anglo-Boer Struggle broke out in 1899. A British garrison was established right here and there have been a couple of skirmishes between commando’s and troops within the space. Boer Commandant Gideon Scheepers was taken captive on the farm Kopjeskraal and later executed in Graaff-Reinet. Boers seized the mail-coach horses close to Botterkraal in 1901.
1912 noticed the primary concern of a weekly newspaper, The Prince Albert Buddy/De Prince Albert Vriend which was revealed in Dutch and English – the custom continues, purchase your copy of our month-to-month newspaper on the Tourism Affiliation Workplace
After you’ve gotten visited the museum and seen the image of Kweekvallei painted by Robert Gordon in 1778 stroll up Gordon’s Hill to realize a chicken’s eye view of the village. The koppies within the distance are simply as Gordon drew them, however now a thriving village, residence to over 6000 residents lies earlier than you.
The inexperienced gardens and orchards bear testimony to the springs of the Swartberg mountains whose sheltering mass present a spectacular backdrop to our very particular, peaceable place.